Friday 28 September 2018

The Plaid Shirt | Classic Style | American Eagle



The plaid shirt has a vast history, especially a plaid flannel shirt which was first manufactured in the 1850's. It was not until the 1940's when women adopted the style for themselves by actually first borrowing them from men. Depending on your age and who you have seen wearing plaid shirts as you grew up, this style may bring back memories of specific phases in your life.




Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" music video made grunge the next big style in the early 1990's. I remember back to school shopping when I was around 10, buying boys wide leg jeans because the girls section did not have the exact style I was going for and pairing it with a t-shirt and plaid shirt tied around my waist.




Now plaid shirts are a wardrobe stable and we ladies don't have to borrow the styles from the men, we can find them tailored to our shape and in a variety of colours. I have gone through a few plaid shirts over the last 10 years but I am always drawn to a pattern that has a significant amount of red in it. I love the classic look of the red plaid shirt. I love that I can dress it up and create a nostalgic holiday vibe or pair it with jeans and a t-shirt for an all Canadian everyday look.


When did you first wear a plaid shirt? What memories does this style bring back for you? How do you wear your plaid shirt today?

My entire outfit was shopped at American Eagle in the Lambton Mall. This store has an amazingly helpful and educated staff that is passionate about helping you find fashion that makes you feel great!

Thanks for reading!
xoxo
Audrey

Reference website, Glamour.


No comments: