Wednesday 25 April 2018

Kinda Vegan Nanaimo Bars


Last weekend we stopped at Highway Girl  for a snack before heading home from Grand Bend. I had their vegan Nanaimo Bar and was amazed at how delicious it was! It inspired me to try to recreate the recipe at home, for this weeks sweet treat.

I did a little research and then just used what ingredients I had on hand to make my own, kinda vegan Nanaimo Bars. I say "kinda" because the cocoa powder I have, says that it may contain milk. I am very pleased with the way this recipe came out though especially because I improvised on some ingredients. Here is my take on vegan Nanaimo Bars.



Ingredients 
Base
1 cup walnuts
2/3 cup raisins
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1/3 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
Filling
2 avacados
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1 Tbsp coconut cane sugar
Topping
3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 Tbsp coconut cane sugar

Method
Line a loaf pan with parchment paper
Blend all base ingredients in a food processor until they get sticky
Press base mixture into lined loaf pan
Set base in freezer while you mix the filling
Using an immersion blender mix all filling ingredients together
Spread filling over base and return to freezer while making the topping
Melt coconut oil in the microwave then mix in the topping ingredients
Pour topping over filling and return to the freezer until frozen, 4-6 hours
Cut using a serrated knife then return to a container and store in the freezer

ENJOY!






No comments: