Tuesday 27 March 2012

Hunger Games

I have to admit that I have completely jumped on the Hunger Games band wagon. I may even be guilty of driving the wagon as I have passed this book series onto others who are now totally hooked.

When you tell people how much you are enjoying the stories and then explain the story line, people are often shocked and appalled that you could enjoy such a horrific story. Aside from it being non stop action, it is a fantasy. You have to read it to get it and those of you have, know what I mean.

One element of this story that i find entertaining is the love triangle between Peeta, Katniss and Gale. For those who have not read the books, I still have to read the third and will not ruin the story for you, you can continue to read. I like these parts of the story because I am a sucker for some gushy teenage romance, the kind where every touch, kiss and word is analysed.

Probably the other reason why I am so excited about the Hunger Games is because I love pop culture and I am easily swept away in media excitement. My idea of news is watching ENews and Access Hollywood or reading the weekly gossip magazines. The cast of the Henger Games movie have been in the headlines for the last few months.

Last night I saw the movie and it was very entertaining. I do think the book was better. I also think that if you were to see the movie and not have read the book first, you may not get as much out of the movie as someone who has. There are so many details that the book spends time on that could not be portrayed in a movie. There were a few scenes in the movie that I also felt could have been done a little better, specifically creating the flames on the outfits of Peeta and Katniss. As someone who loves fashion, as I read the descriptions of Katniss's outfits my mental interpretations were very specific and the flames seemed so real. To say the least, the flames were a let down.

I am moving on to the third book and I will see the next movie when it comes out a year from now, I am officially hooked on the Hunger Games.

What are your thoughts on the books and the first movie?

No comments: